Frequently asked questions
How can I find work experience?
- The careers team at school
- Your careers leader may already have a dedicated set of resources that includes a list of employers who have work experience opportunities
- Springpod. At Springpod, we work closely with a huge and diverse range of employers across different industries who can offer work experience opportunities. Explore them now
- Company Websites. You can always go directly to the company you’d like to complete a work experience placement at, and check if they offer opportunities
- Use your existing network
How does work experience work?
- Job Shadowing - where you spend a few hours or days ‘shadowing’ someone in a specific job role that you’re interested in
- Company or Industry visits - Similar to job shadowing, you’ll often go off in groups and get a chance to check out every part of the business and meet people from different departments
- Summer Programmes - These are slightly longer in duration as they tend to take place over the summer months, and tend to last between two-four weeks. With these you’re likely to get shorter taster sessions in different parts of the business, being supervised during each role
Do you get paid for work experience?
However, some employers may offer other incentives like travel costs, free lunches and other experiences that you wouldn’t get otherwise.
When should I start looking for work experience?
- Research the different career pathways that you’re interested in
- Most work experience placements happen over summer, but their deadlines can be usually a few months before. So keep track of that